Our bank raised deposit rates this past week. I’ve also watched customers who have kept money at one bank for years decide that a better rate elsewhere is worth changing that relationship. I understand it. When the difference is meaningful, loyalty alone is a hard reason to leave money on the table.
The question I keep hearing is what to do next: lock in for a longer term, choose a shorter CD, or wait because rates might be higher in January?
I wouldn’t build a plan around a January prediction. No one knows what rate a particular bank will offer then. The rate available today is real; the one you hope for later is not. That doesn’t mean everyone should rush into a long CD. It means the decision should start with when you may need the money.
How I’d think through the term
If you know you won’t need the money for a while and today’s fixed rate meets your goal, locking in a longer term can make sense. You keep that rate for the term even if new offers fall. If you may need the cash soon—or you want the flexibility to review offers again in a few months—a shorter CD or a money-market account may fit better. That flexibility matters, though a money-market rate can change.
For someone genuinely torn, splitting the money is worth considering: keep some accessible, put some in a shorter CD, and lock some for longer. It is less about calling the next move perfectly and more about not making one all-or-nothing bet. Before opening any CD, check the early-withdrawal penalty and what happens at maturity; the CFPB recommends matching the maturity date to when you expect to need the money.
What moved in our local checks
We did see selected local offers rise this week. In Orlando, Addition Financial’s 24–35-month certificate moved from 3.61% to 3.71% APY. In Jacksonville, Florida Credit Union’s 9-month special moved from 4.10% to 4.15% APY. Those are specific offers, not evidence that every bank has raised its rates. Eligibility, minimum deposits, and special conditions still matter. The Orlando and Jacksonville pages have the verified terms and official source links.
My bottom line: ask your current bank for its best available offer, then compare the actual dollars, access to your money, and the institution’s terms. If another bank earns your business, that is a reasonable choice. Just don’t let a guess about January make the decision for you.
Arthur McDaniel
